 Off-Topic / Debate / 16916
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:50:40 GMT

First of all, "Scientific Creationism" is an oxymoron, so let's dispense
with that term and stick with Creationism.

Just like military intelligence or whatever... There are scientists who are
Christian, and they came up with a theory and they called it Scientific
Creationism, in which they try to merge the Biblical stories of creatin with
scientific principles and ideas, and they did a pretty good job, for the
most bit--so, like my badly used 'bigoted' word, saying Scientific
Creationism is an oxymoron is not contributing to a healthy discussion, S.C.
has just as much right to be at the table of this discussion as Evolution
and pure Creationism.

I agree, and hope that Dave(!) will reconsider.  Since it is a name of a
belief/theory, and the name is reasonably illustrative of what the theorists
are thinking about, I think the name is fit.

  "Oxymoron" may have been a cruel overstatement, but I stand by my
assertion that there is nothing scientific about Creationism.  However, in
another post, I recognized the error of my absolutist stance and acknowledge
that it's fair to call Creationism a theory, but it's not a scientific one.
  To me, and to the entirety of mainstream science (as far as I'm aware)
"Creation Science" or "Scientific Creationism" is no less a misuse of
"science" as a descriptor than "astrological science" or "reike science" or
"tarot science" would be.  They are *not* science or even scientific,
despite the wishes of those who adhere to those beliefs.
  Lindsay has also pointed out several of the ways Creationism falls short
of the term "science," and I defer to his wisdom for further discussion of
why Creationism isn't scientific.

     Dave!