 Off-Topic / Debate / 16914
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:17:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Curt Tigges writes:

First of all, "Scientific Creationism" is an oxymoron, so let's dispense
with that term and stick with Creationism.

Just like military intelligence or whatever... There are scientists who are
Christian, and they came up with a theory and they called it Scientific
Creationism, in which they try to merge the Biblical stories of creatin with
scientific principles and ideas, and they did a pretty good job, for the
most bit--so, like my badly used 'bigoted' word, saying Scientific
Creationism is an oxymoron is not contributing to a healthy discussion, S.C.
has just as much right to be at the table of this discussion as Evolution
and pure Creationism.  I'll try to be the first to do away from nadjectives
(negative adjectives!) used against the ideas I do not concur with.

   What's the difference between "pure Creationism" and "Scientific
   Creationism?"  Both are based on anti-logic, and both are necessarily
   rooted in theistic dogma.  If you want to produce a totally non-
   sectarian vision of spontaneous generation ex nihilo that follows
   Genesis to the letter, know in advance that the science supports
   generation ex nihilo (sort of) at a much, much, much earlier stage.
   (In a sense, you can argue that Big Bang/evolution *is* Creationist;
   but because it's not literal the dogmatists have a problem with it.
   There's a third way, called "theistic evolution," that most use to
   reconcile religion and science--but the dogmatists call it wishy-
   washy, shaking hands with Satan, etc., and try to portray it as a
   Manichaean choice--which it isn't.)

/concur Evolution and Creationism are theories

   /differ Evolution is a scientific theory (like gravity).  Creationism
   is an armchair theory (like Gub'mint conspiracies).  Different beasts.
   Just because it's the same word doesn't make it the same thing.

   I may write more later, because this is an area in which I have a fair
   expertise (I used to debate creationists who would come to visit our
   University campus, which dismayed them because I had both knowledge
   *and* an understanding of how to debate.  Devastating combination, that.)

   But for a general trashing of Creationism, you really need to read
   this thread through.  A lot of great stuff has come up.

   best

   LFB