 Off-Topic / Debate / 16908
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 16:29:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Curt Tigges writes:

First of all, "Scientific Creationism" is an oxymoron, so let's dispense
with that term and stick with Creationism.

The hypothesis of evolution (yes, it is still a hypothesis, according to the
scientific method)

  Actually, it's a *theory,* just as the theory of gravitation, the theory
of relativity, the theory of sexual reproduction, and the theory of
continental drift.

is full of holes and does not make much sense.

  In fact, given the current state of understanding, it is the only theory
that makes real sense, and all of modern biology is based upon it.

While minor evolution--i forget the official term--development within a
species' genetic code, for example, dogs, has been proved to be possible,
major evolution into an entirely different species has not been proven to be
possible.

  There really isn't much distinction between so-called "microevolution" and
so-called "macroevolution, other than the time frame, and even that's not
all that significant.
  Not even gravity has been "proven" in the absolute way that Creationists
demand evolution to be "proven, but for very strong evidence (which is all
we can ask of any theory, really), see:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

By the way, it would be worth your while to examine as much of the
TalkOrigins site as possible, if you're really interested in reading about
the subject.

I agree, although more has been revealed than you think.

  Oh, that.  Personal revelation is worthless in furthering overall
knowledge, since by its essential nature revelation of this sort cannot be
confirmed or tested.  Further, if the question is "does the Revealer exist,"
then I can't accept your personal testimony (or anyone else's, except the
Revealer's) as proof of that existence.

(1) This is explained by LDS scholar Eric Skousen, in his book Earth in the
Beginning.

  Well, Skousen is a chemical physicist, so his expertise does not
necessarily relate to cosmology.  That's not an attempt to dismiss him out
of turn--if his theories are good, they're good regardless of the author's
qualifications.  But I certainly won't accept his word simply because he
said so (any more than I would accept Gould's or Einstein's or Dawkins' or
Hawking's simply because one of them said so.)

     Dave!