 Off-Topic / Debate / 16847
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:13:49 GMT

First, the immigrants wouldn't have come here if there wasn't *opportunity*.

A bunch of immigrants were forced to come here.

But even if they came anyway, if we had set up a dictatorship, we could have
used those immigrants as slaves or something.

Um...uh...well...we did!

We are not the first nation to be flooded with immigrants.  We are the first • to
allow immigrants to pursue life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
*freely*.  *THAT* is what our success is based on.

Actually, I largely agree with this.  The core of whatever greatness we have
claim to (aside from the dumb luck, which is indisputable) is our response to
immigrants.  That's why I oppose closed borders today.  The melting pot is a
powerful motivator in the presense of a sort of free market.

Chris