 Off-Topic / Debate / 16760
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:36:28 GMT

If you can really believe this, then please explain who this God is.
I assume, though correct me if I'm wrong, that the big G indicates the
god of Abraham -- Jehovah (or whatever) and no other.  I'm pretty sure
it doesn't mean Ashur, Odin, or Lucifer.

You are very wrong.  It is *intentially* vague.  It is whomever you deem it
to be.

Can I deem it to be no one at all, that no such power exists?

If not, then my religious freedom is abrogated by any such state sponsored
statement referring to a god whether big or little "g" is used.

I prefer the usage used in oaths now "do you solemnly swear or affirm that..."
(because the use of the term "or affirm" acknowledges that to swear is to
make reference to a god of some sort and allows the citizen not to do so) to
the earlier usage which did not admit of such a choice.

As to the teenager referred to by Mike P.... I would think her civics
education is incomplete, but if one wants to base one's thinking about
profound freedoms on the statements of the uneducated that may be a bigger
problem than this one.