 Off-Topic / Debate / 16734
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:20:10 GMT

SOME of the Founding Fathers were indeed professed and practicing
christians... Just not any of the ones that did the heavy lifting to get
this nation off the ground.

Right -- Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, etc...

So you need to be more specific, I think, rather than just saying "the
Founding Fathers weren't christian".

Yes, fair enough -- but while there continues to be some psycho-xtian
movement afoot to show that the framers were bible thumpers -- or that they
even cared about such things, I think I can be forgiven one overly general
statement. And FWIW, while I did make that overly general statement, the
same post contained a whole series of specific quotes from the
"heavy-lifters" (man, I hate these quasi-sport terms). To my mind, that goes
quite a long way towards indemnifying me against attacks of making overly
general statements -- the necessary references were provided in the event
that one wanted the specifics.

So sure, the framers weren't exactly burning Xtians at the stake -- as
tempting as doing so must have been.  =) At the same time, the separation of
church and state was pointedly bred into our political system.

Even the mere appearance of state sanction of any single faith or
faith-based idea is abhorrent to me, and I think the founders served us well
in this respect.

-- Hop-Frog