 Off-Topic / Debate / 1662
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:22:48 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Yeah, right. "Hello, this is .. oh, I don't have a name yet, but call
me Charles, calling from the womb. I need health insurance just in
case I get a birth defect".

Your example is spurious. My kids were covered before they were born...
under as private an insurance system as I could find at the time. And if
they had had birth defects that prebirth testing could have discovered,
we would not have had them. My choice and my partner's choice.

Others may differ, for perfectly valid reasons, but it's not the duty of
the state to make every consequence of a decision just magically
disappear.

That's a fundamental point that you just won't concede, isn't it? You
think needs justify everything, and the state's job is to deliver a
magic wand to everyone. Or try to, by taking the nectar away from the
worker bees and giving it to drones.

Get over it. That system doesn't work. Capitalism isn't perfect, doesn't
claim to be (1), but its a heck of a lot better than the shared misery
you're proposing.

If you're REALLY bound and determined to ignore reality, let's move on.
Nothing based on reason or reality is going to convince you, is it?

1 - that's the point of calling it "Libertopia" instead of "Libertarian
Utopia"... there IS NO SUCH THING as utopia. But calling it a dystopia
means you just haven't thought things through. Or you're ad-homineming
again.

lugnet.