 Off-Topic / Debate / 16568
  Two good ones in a row.

Hansen can sometimes be a demagogue, and there's certainly stuff in both of these to disagree with, but these are both well worth reading. Why democracies, even ones we disagree with, are better than dictatorships, even ones we are allied with: (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Two good ones in a row.

(...) there. He spends the first bit talking about how great the US is and how we've done all these great things, while blaming certain less free governments. But this ignores our role in creating and supporting those institutions. How dare he? We (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Two good ones in a row.

(...) sometimes produce bad government. Likewise, I'm sure benevolent dictatorships are possible... but are not guaranteed in the long-term ;) We should support democracy, but not accept its results blindly. After all, what moral mandate does a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)