 Off-Topic / Debate / 16477
    Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —David Koudys
   (...) One difference is that you haven't been warring with the same faction for the last 2000+ years. If, out of the blue, someone were to come knocking at your door and relocate your family, an injustice has just occured against you. If, on the (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Well I like(1) the solution offered in _The Fresco_ (by Sheri S. Tepper, an SF author who really has grown on me lately, she's worth some careful reading) In that novel the aliens, after observing the situation, ejected everyone from old (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —David Koudys
     (...) I'm definitely on the same page with that--take the land away from both parties. Like a parent taking a toy away from two fighting kids until they both act more mature. As for the pregnant men--ouch!--Arnold in 'Junior' Dave (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Dave Schuler
   (...) This is the part that messes me up, though; aren't there quite a few people now living in that region who were personally subject to relocation? If so, then they would seem to have a legitimate grievance. (...) Well, sure--I agree that (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Dan Boger
     (...) only relocation by their own choice - AFAIK, Israel never forced anyone to leave their houses in '48 (or '67), the people who left did so from their own free will. Fearing Israel will do to them what the Arab countries would have done to the (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Scott Arthur
     (...) You're wrong. Read around the subject a little more. As the Israeli forces advanced they destroyed whole villages in their path. Israel was able to clear 80% of Palestinians from the area (~700,000 individuals). (...) Well, I think they wanted (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —James Brown
     (...) <blink blink> Really? The Scots and the English have been assuming ownership of each others abandoned property for centuries, I thought. They've even occaisionally arranged for a little spontanious abandonment. James (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Scott Arthur
     (...) Indeed, Scotland has "refugees" in much of commonwealth (e.g. Canada and NZ). But that's all in the past; we are one big happy nation now. I'm even looking forward to viewing England's progress in the World Cup. I have enjoyed their last two (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press —Scott Arthur
    (...) If a family has lived on the same plot of land for generations, why should they be removed (relocated) without compensation to provide a home for an economic migrant from the former USSR who has chosen relocation to improve his own personal (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)