 Off-Topic / Debate / 1631
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:23:04 GMT

Sorry I came in late on this, but I just had to make
my mark on the uber-thread.  :^)

In article <FF039y.2AD@lugnet.com>, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

It can also be argued that Perl on a Mac is equally evil: the OS doesn't
even offer a shell, and its file system is incredibly -- no, radically --
different from that of UNIX.  Thus, should Macs die a horrible death also?

I use MacPerl under Apple's Macinosh Programmer's
Workshop, a shell environment available for free
from Apple.  I use Perl on my Mac to develop a
couple websites as a sideline hobby.  (Yes, the
cross-platform file access code is nasty, but easily
abstractable, and modules are available to deal with
it anyway.)  FWIW, see:

  http://www.io.com/~rueger/mac/

to see what I use and how I work with my Macs.

It's funny you should mention Macs.  :)  I actually posted that message from
a Mac.  :)

Via a web browser (in which case OS doesn't matter),
or from a MacOS app?

In my mind, Macs are simply hard to use, but not evil.

Huh?  I guess we'd better not tell all those iMac
buyers who are paying for Apple's revival.

Microsoft and all
of its products are evil, but not hard to use.  I *much* prefer to use
Windows products over Mac products (because they have far superior keyboard
interfaces), but I still hate Windows and I don't hate Macs.  (That probably
all sounds like a massive sequence of contradictions.  :-)

I use GNU Emacs all the time on my Mac, and I rarely
use its (minimal) mouse support.  Photoshop users
almost never use the menus once they learn the
shortcuts for the palette and filter menus.  Heck,
even MSWord's keyboard shortcuts make more sense
on the Mac than they do on Windows (not that I use
it anymore now that I have access to FrameMaker).

Since this is degenerating into advocacy, here's
why I use a Mac:

  1) Perl
  2) Emacs
  3) Photoshop with scanner input
  4) Internet apps
  5) Zero-maintenance OS

Show me a cheaper machine than my Mac that does
these things, and I'll buy it.

Just my $0.02...
-Tim

--
Tim and/or Shelley Rueger - rueger "at" io.com
WWW page: http://www.io.com/~rueger/