 Off-Topic / Debate / 16091
Re: In this time of conflict, one good news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
There has been quite a discussion here about the Middle East situation, and
since IMO the situation is not due to be resolved anytime soon, I thought of
calling your attention to a bit of hope coming from elsewhere on Earth.
Angola's civil war will officially end tomorrow.
After 41 years of consecutive war (first for independence, then civil war),
most angolans will now experience peace for the first time in their lives. I
am glad this conflict has come to an end, for now this vast nation will be
able to benefit from its abundant resources, and improve the citizens'
living conditions. I am confident about this.
This is a positive thought, I know. But why not? Peace is possible, after all.

Pedro

I heard the statements (1) made in the Angolan parliament last night on the
BBC. I really hope that this does turn into a lasting peace. I was amazed to
hear that the agreement established in 1994 is what this is all based on. It
is astounding the difference one person (or the lack of one person!) can make.

I assume this is big news in Portugal?

Scott A

(1) Along with some quite impressive singing.