 Off-Topic / Debate / 15929
Re: Next time you're thinking about flaming someone on-line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:28:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,50548,00.html

Isn't this relevant only to sites like Lugnet -- the ones that require a
real email address and your actual name (presuming one actually provides it,
as I have)?  I can't see how anybody can get the info. on people posting
over at f*ckedcompany.com for example (not without more information than is
readily available on the site, and not without the site owner's
cooperation)?  It seems only an idiot would go completely off the deep end
with a libelous speech where one could actually and easily be identified.

That is what you would think... but I had heard that some of these legal
beagles track down who the poster actually is by forcing the site to give
info when registered (so much for anonymity, but the site ToS typically say
they will bend over in the face of legal opposition) or by tracking other stuff.

I think if you went to eff.org you might find more on this topic.

I guess it's a good thing that we generally don't get to discussing
personalities on Lugnet.

Generally. :-)