 Off-Topic / Debate / 15838
Re: VP of lego direct Q&A Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 04:46:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.technic, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford writes:
However, I stand by my point that were it my company I would use it as a
guage of what might be missing from my own catalog and try to remedy that
situation.  It's free marketing data.  You don't have to put out a set and
watch it flop.  You just look to see which of your own old sets are already
selling.  Maybe it at least gives you a *hint* of a product you could at
least *consider* reissuing.

And you think they're not doing that already? IIRC the Guarded Inn was
pretty popular on eBay...

I believe they're doing exactly that.
So you do think LEGO's got it right?

If this is what they're doing, then I believe they're doing a good thing.

The original thread of this discussion however had nothing to do with
whether or not they are actually doing this.  It was about them releasing
products to try and undercut similar items being sold on eBay.  I believe
that this is a good practice.  Someone else disagreed and suggested that it
represented an insignificant portion of their sales.  So I'm not really sure
why this has gone off on this particular tangent.

Did my comments lead you to believe that I felt otherwise?

Are you serious? "...if it were my company I would use it...and try to
remedy" implies fairly strongly that what you suggest is (in your mind)
different to what's happening now.

No.  They imply exactly what I said.  Again, if you go back in the thread, I
think you'll find that the comments noted above aren't directly related to
the main jist of the conversation.  I implied that this would be my
direction IF it were my company.  This was in response to someone else
suggesting that they didn't feel the eBay sales were anything that LEGO was
worrying about.

And the overwhelmingly sarcastic tone of the sentence "Maybe...*consider*
reissuing" similarly implies a contrast between what you'd do and what LEGO
does.

Not meant to be sarcastic in any way.  Meant, in fact, to demean my own
comments and suggest that my course of action would result in only the
smallest possibility of success.  In other words, there is a great chance
that following my suggestion (of harvesting data from eBay) would not result
in anything useful at all.  Reread what I wrote, from this point of view,
and perhaps it will make more sense.

...and the Metroliner was fairly popular...

(...and cypress trees and train doors if you want to consider parts as well
as sets).

I think it's an excellent tool for all kinds of market data.
What kinds of market data?

It's a completely open arena.
What do you mean by that?

Self-explanatory.  eBay is the wild west of consumerism.  Anything goes.
Buyer beware.  Highest bidder wins.  Simple stuff.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.