 Off-Topic / Debate / 15663
15662  |  15664
Subject:
Alan Keyes is *Interesting*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:14:22 GMT

I happened to come across this guy Alan Keyes on cable tonight while waiting
for "Blue Planet" to come on again at for it's second showing of the night
(missed the first one) -- wow, Alan Keyes sure has a lot of interesting
opinions.  I couldn't disagree more with a lot of his ideas -- esp. his
views on "evil" and religious issues in general, but I find myself in
complete agreement with his more bold, un-mainstream views -- esp. on things
like welfare, taxes, campaign reform, etc. I happen to like some of the
ideas he expressed during his campaign for the presidency (who knew this
religious nut was running?), they are listed below just for fun (taken from
http://www.issues2000.org/Alan_Keyes.htm):

1. Abolish the income tax and spend money responsibly.
2. Sales tax gives control back to people. [note: I feel sure he means a fed
sales tax]
3. Wrong to pay income taxes before basic necessities.
4. Replace income tax with tariffs & duties. [in case sales tax doesn't happen]
5. Income tax is Marxist control of entire economy. [ummm...duh!?]
6. Excise taxes allow citizens to control tax rate themselves. [this would
be in the way of what is called "luxury tax" in the game of Monopoly]
7. Call halt to “War on this” and “War on that”.
8. Only valid reason to go to Washington is to break up power.
9. Campaigns: No union $, no corporate $, no foreign $.

I guess what I find interesting about Keyes is how much he seems to
exemplify my disapproval of the two major political parties.  Keyes
initially ran as a Republican hopeful, whatever else he may have done
afterwards (I don't know), and while I like his fiscal policies, I can't
stand his broader "moral" agenda.  Once again, I find myself unable to
support a would-be politician.

His TV show on MSNBC hasn't yet found its voice, but I found Keyes'
statements immediately more interesting and intelligent than Idiot-Mouth
O'Reilly or whatever his name is...

YMMV.

-- Hop-Frog