 Off-Topic / Debate / 15629
Re: A small rant on an unrelated issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:21:14 GMT

[snip]
If I were to claim in writing or on the air that Bruce Schlickbernd was
arrested in Peru in 1974 for smuggling Bavarian Circus Midgets, I would be
subject to libel and slander suits for presenting (presumably!) false
information about a person.  Even if I included a small disclaimer at the
bottom of my statement such as "this story, and the one about Bruce's hefty
fine for alphabetizing all the canned vegetables at a local grocery store,
are intended for entertainment purposes only," I think I could still be sued
if my (presumably) false claims resulted in damages to Bruce (that no-good,
alphabetizing smuggler).  Why, then, are bogus health companies not subject
to similar liability for their claims?

Well it can be proven that Bruce is innocent of the charge.  While there is no
proof that a *insert magic cure of your choice* works, there is also no proof
that it does NOT work.  I agree that it is a stupid technicallity but that is
the idiocy of the Bureaucracy.

I don't care if Jane Doe buys a useless ion bracelet for $20, but I'm
bothered that John Smith might seek hot-rock therapy for his lung cancer
instead of a treatment that actually works.  How is it that these companies
can make fraudulent claims with impunity?  When was the last time one of
these companies or "psychics" was successfully sued for damages?  Is there
any recourse for a consumer misled by such false advertising?

I do not belive that such a lawsuit would be successful for the aforementioned
reason and the fact that John Smith chose to forgo other treatments.  Companies
that are guilty of (what any reasonably intellegent person could determine as)
false advertising should be held accountable in my opinion.

-Mike Petrucelli