 Off-Topic / Debate / 15556
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:17:29 GMT

Kleck and Kates (IIRC) suggest that it's merely a popular urban-rumor and
that real data don't support the notion.  (Unless of course, X less than one.)

  Well, the obvious source is by Kellerman and Reay: "Protection or Peril?
An Analysis of Firearm Related Deaths in the Home." The New England Journal
of Medicine, vol. 314, no. 24, June 1986, pp. 1557-60.

Gun apologists cite poor methodology and questionable data, but I'm not so
sure the specific numbers are important.  Kellerman and Reay aren't claiming
that a gun in the home makes any given individual 43% more likely to shoot a
family member. Rather, it observes that, statistically, the person shot in
one's home is 43% more likely to be a family member than an intruder.  In
essence, in 44 cases of in-home shootings, 43 of the victims were family
members, while 1 was an intruder.  Kellerman and Reay aren't making claims
of causation but rather of correlation.  Unfortunately, I've heard both 43X
and 22X, and I can't track down the original document at the moment to verify.

  As an additional source, the FBI report "Crime in the United States, 1973"
observed that, statistically, that a gun kept in the home for self-defense
is six times more likely to be used in a deliberate or accidental homicide
involving a relative or friend than a burglar or unlawful intruder.

  In any case, let's just pick some numbers at random for comparison.  Let's
say that in a given year 100 people are shot within a home by
privately-owned guns.  If, of those 100 people, 10 are family members and 90
are unlawful intruders, then is it unreasonable to conclude that an intruder
is 9X more likely than a family member to be the victim?  I'm not addressing
causation, and I'm ignoring intentional vs. accidental shootings, since in
either case a person is shot.

     Dave!