 Off-Topic / Debate / 1555
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:09:39 GMT

No way.  Leaving Christianity aside for a moment, *anyone* would see the • folly of allowing a
homeowner in a "nice" neighborhood to exercise his free rights as property • owner to open a
brothel (which I assume you think should be legal; contracts, no victum, no • crime, etc.)

I am someone, therefore part of "*anyone*", and I do not see the folly,
assuming his property covenants do not prevent it, of engaging in a
business in which no rights are violated. Sorry if  your hidebound
morals have a problem with it, but there it is.

That one is possibly a bad example - since arguably if you open
a brothel in a residential neighbourhood you are affecting the rights
of the people who live around there - simply because if you buy a
house in a residential neighbourhood you probably bought it to live there
peaceably - not to have a business open there which results in lots
of people coming in there with all the associated noise etc. That's got
nothing to do with the morals of a brothel - which I have no problems with.
I'd be unhappy if a brothel opened opposite my house - but then I'd be
even more unhappy if a factory puffing out lots of noxious fumes opened
there!

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com