 Off-Topic / Debate / 15540
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:03:22 GMT

The Bill of Rights is supposed to represent ideas that are fundamental to
this free society -- the Constitution would never have been ratified without
it.  Those basic rights are considered guarantees of current and future
liberty. Every officer in the land swears an oath or avers to uphold the
federal constitution.  So yeah, they have to agree. If there are any
exceptions to this oath-taking, which I doubt there are, I have never heard
of them.

  Well, the original Presidential Oath of Office, according to the
Constitution, is:

I do solemnly swear/affirm that I will faithfully execute the Office of the
President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability,
preserve, protect and defend, the constitution of the United States.

  George Washington added the words "so help me God" which some would argue
(and I think you might be one of them!) that this puts God in the copilot's
seat of an officer who's supposed primarily to serve a deliberately secular
nation.

     Dave!