 Off-Topic / Debate / 15531
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:14:20 GMT

I don't know why we go around and around with this issue.  The U.S. is not
Europe.  The U.S. is not the U.K.  Everyone else can offer their silly
opinions and then shut the hell up.  If you don't live here, you don't
understand our problems or our needs.  For those of you "in country" that
want to complain of our rights concerning arms, first tell me how you intend
to modify perception of something so fundamental that it allowed for the
formation of this country in the first place?  We would have stayed under
the thumb of George III except for a violent rebellion.  Is it everyone's
assertion that such a need will NEVER arise again?

   Sorry, gotta nitpick:

   Canada and Australia had no violent rebellions against British rule,
   yet both became de facto independent by roughly 1900. [1]  A failure
   to revolt against British rule would not have kept us under anyone's
   thumb, it merely would have changed the way that squeaking-out took
   place and the nature of our relationship with Great Britain between
   1775 and 1902 (the year of Hay-Pauncefote, the Anglo-American rapproche-
   ment treaty).  The Revolution's upper-class proponents were much more
   self-interested--not in matters of liberty so much as economy.
   The tax burden on the Colonies was actually far less than the burden
   upon anyone in England, and some of the same people who chafed under
   it ended up chafing under *any* central authority, even the US once
   the deed was done.

   I'm happy to hear what people outside the US say and prescribe, as
   long as it's not dictatorial or given as evidence why the USA is an
   evil awful terrible place and their homes are Utopias.  But I'm with
   Richard in that the US isn't the UK, it's not Europe, and it's not
   even Canada (though that would be closest, really)--so the same
   tricks just won't work.  Now, if only we could get the US Department
   of State to realize that the opposite is true--that the American Way
   is not the only way--more often, and we'll really be on to something!
   :)

   best

   LFB

   [1] You can argue that it wasn't "real" independence, given their
       relationships with the UK, but I'd reply that South Africa offers
       an antagonistic example--they were effectively independent by 1910,
       and only careful coalition-building kept them from declaring for
       the Central Powers in 1914 and the Axis in 1939.