 Off-Topic / Debate / 15485
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:24:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Mike Petrucelli" <lordi@erols.com> writes:

Gun Control has nothing to do with Guns and everything to do with
Control.  A politicain can never take away the peoples rights, so

Exactly.  Gun control is completely about control, but both sides of this
issue fail to see the bigger picture--why do people obey the law, and those
that break the law, why do they do that?

When society gets to the point where everyone obeys the law *because* it's
*the law* and not because the police carry guns, we will no longer need
guns, therefore control is irrelevant.

My friend also took this idea to an even bigger picture--if we obey the law
because of our love for our fellow society member, we'll probably lose
politicians, too ;)

Her point was that we have laws written down and people yap because
sometimes nasty laws get passed that oppress, et al. and 'if we don't carry
guns to prevent our uprising against the state, what force do we have to
change the state?'  However, if our laws are formed with the idea of what's
right for our fellow society member, how can we go wrong?

Anyway, just thoughts.

Dave

long as the people have the ability to shoot him for trying.

In some countries, democratic elections are used for mostly the same
effect.

Fredrik