 Off-Topic / Debate / 1546
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 05:24:06 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

John Neal wrote:

The *government* decides which contracts it will recognize.
It has nothing to do with how you want to behave in private.

What gives the government the right to discriminate among contracts? It
is then making a moral judgement that one sort of free will behaviour
non rights damaging behaviour is better than another. Please address
this fundamental point.

The gov is of the people, by the people and for the people.  If that's what the people want, what's
wrong with that?  By judging their moral judgments, aren't *you* making a moral judgment?

What about Nudists who want to walk around naked in public?  Or Copulatists (I made it up--
people who want to be able to screw in public)?  The gov should be able to limit those
behaviors?

No the government should NOT be able to limit those behaviours. Not in
public.

There should be no prohibition on behaviour in public spaces as long as
such behaviour is consensual. If you don't like to see it, don't be
there.

Or, if you must walk around naked, don't do it in a public place. Why should your conclusion be the
valid one?

Of course, in Libertopia, there will be little or no "public
space" as most everything will be owned by some specific entity instead
of "the public", so the owners can enforce whatever behaviour standards
they want on their invited guests and customers.

if I can get a majority of voters in Edina (or whatever your home town
is) to agree that you have to sign each append with the phrase "8 wide
trains are a stupid idea" that would be OK, right, and you'd scurry to
comply?

BLASPHEMY <ripping my garments>;-)  No, but small communities have done stupider things.  All
within their rights.

No, the fact that a majority requires or forbids something does not make
it "right". This seems to be a sticking point for you. Please address
why you find tyranny of the majority acceptable.

Why do you insist on calling majority rules tyrannical?  It is the system of gov we have.  It is a
convenient way to make decisions.  If there is a gridlock of opinion, how would you resolve it?
Nothing would get done if you held out for a consensus.  Let one guy decide?  Let a minority
decide?  Without the rule of the majority, chaos would reign.  We submit ourselves to this system
because it is the most efficient means to govern a large population.  I agree that it *can* be
tyrannical, but not by definition.

Are you saying the majority has the right to enforce any behavioural
standards it likes? Puhleeeeze. Tyranny by a majority is still tyranny.
No number of wrongs make a right.

Tyranny?  Semantics.  Majority rules in a Democracy.  Period.  "wrongs"?  "right"?  Sounds
judgmental.

It *is* judgemental, black and white, and clear cut. An absolute
democracy, with absolute power over citizens as long as the majority
supports it, is morally flawed. A just goverment must be sharply limited
in power and it should not be possible for a majority to undo the
prohibitions and restrictions on what the government can do.

Please remember, I am not a supporter of democracy. I favor sharply
constrained constitutional republics.

Please explain how anything gets accomplished in Larritopia without the benefit of some sort of
majority making decisions

This seems a fundamental point. Please explain how you have the right to
enforce your belief system on me, and restrict my right to do with my
body as I wish. That includes getting assistance from others (who freely
enter into an agreement with me about the particulars) in doing so.

Never once asked you to *believe* anything, except maybe to value life, but as I stated before,
I think that is a value which should be inherent to our humanity.  What else makes us more
human?

You're dodging. Answer the question. Explain how you have the right to
enforce your belief system on me or admit that you don't.

I don't have the right, never said I did, and I don't want to.  Please tell me when I tried to
enforce my belief system on you.  If you are referring to my remarks about valuing life, are you
saying that people should have the right to not value life?  What about the rights of those whose
lives are not being valued?

"which does not infringe on the rights of others"  Therein lies the rub.  I agree will your
premise that people should be free as much as possible to "pursue happiness".  But what happens
when one party claims that the other is infringing on their rights?  Who decides?  The
government.  "Your copulating in public offends me."

That's an easy one. You don't have the right not to be offended by other
behaviours. Some behaviours ARE offensive. You certainly have the right
not to watch by averting your eyes or going elsewhere, and not to allow
them on YOUR property, but the fact that you find them offensive does
not mean that your rights are being violated.

Try a harder example... but instead of asking me to explain it, try
explaining it yourself step by step using my principles. You'll either
come to a just result, or you'll make a misstep which we will spot,
improving your process.

What if I were a minor viewing this public display?  At what point does this activity become
criminal?  Ever?  I couldn't care less what people do in the privacy of their own property, but on
public property one must abide by what the majority wish on that land.  If you doesn't like it,
either continue the activity on your property or face incarceration.

So are you saying zoning laws are tyrannical?   Nonsense.

But they indeed ARE tyrannical. Further, they are not necessary.
Reference Houston Texas.

No way.  Leaving Christianity aside for a moment, *anyone* would see the folly of allowing a
homeowner in a "nice" neighborhood to exercise his free rights as property owner to open a
brothel (which I assume you think should be legal; contracts, no victum, no crime, etc.)

I am someone, therefore part of "*anyone*", and I do not see the folly,
assuming his property covenants do not prevent it, of engaging in a
business in which no rights are violated. Sorry if  your hidebound
morals have a problem with it, but there it is.

Hidebound moral problems or no, there goes the neighborhood.

Answer the charge that christians do in fact attempt to legislate
morality, with, in many cases, the blessing of the organization to which
they belong, instead of squirming around raising red herrings, or admit
that you have no intention of doing so and discountinue this discourse.

I freely admit that some Christians do it all the time.  Even I get frustrated with them.  What does
that prove?  And even if they are, aren't you judging their behaviors which, by your own words, you
haven't the right to do?

-John

lugnet.