 Off-Topic / Debate / 15416
15415  |  15417
Subject:
Eastern european peoples/cultures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 23:18:23 GMT

Hi there!

Can anybody help me on this?
I would like to know some facts and figures about Eastern european
peoples/cultures, namely from Russia, Ukraine and Moldavia. If anyone has
reliable information about living conditions and wages there, please share
with me.
Reason: I'm still wondering how doctors, violinists and engineers (for
instance) in their homelands decide they are better off working on
construction in Portugal (where wages are very low for such jobs). Are
things *that bad*?
Besides, I thought it might be nice to learn some russian words, to be able
to communicate a little, and help in giving directions and such. You see,
the great majority of them speaks nothing but russian, and as such are easy
prey for the mafias. :-(  The least I can do is learn a bit of russian
myself, right?

Pedro (in the mood for action!)

(NOTE: feel free to use my e-mail, el_gordo@netc.pt)