 Off-Topic / Debate / 15409
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 23:36:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
"tom" <tinosanto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GpJFI2.GMx@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:

How are these not Bionicle?? They are as much bionicle as the cad >images are lego. Just because they do not have the same tools as the >cad heads do, does that make them wrong and bad and not lego?

Wrong.  Look at a CAD image.  Its a near-exact representation of the >real thing.  Heck, I've heard it from the mouths of LEGO employees that >the system we have is hands down better than anything LEGO *PAID* to >have created!  Far cry from someone pixel-pushing in Paintbrush to >come up with something that barely resembles the subject.

You said it yourself: 'a near-exact representation of the real thing.' How
many people can actually draw 'a near-exact representation of the real
thing' even with the help of a painting/drawing program. Very few, and of
those that can even fewer of them are 12 years old or less.

The avatars are the best some kids can do and to chide them for their lack
of resemblance to the real this is similar to chideing a child in art class
for his or her inability to draw. It's not a fun thing to go through and no
child should ever have to go through it.

Then why not use a picture of a real Bionicle?

To turn this around, why not just build the same creation over and over?
We're talking about individual creativity here, not the desire to become one
of the collective.

If I decided to express my love of say, Futuron, with the same quality
images, not one, but say twenty or thirty, and a whole mess of friends of
mine decided to do the same, in effect replacing the meat content of
Brickshelf with our underpowered 'image editor' fantasies, wouldn't that
disrupt the flow of what Brickshelf has been known to showcase for the
viewership?  (not asking if it would be wrong here, just asking if it would
change the climate)

Feel free to think this is what's happening if you'd like to, but that isn't
what's happening. The Lego community is growing and the ones complaining
about it's growth are those who prefer the status quo of September 1999
ratehr than January 2001. I'll take growth over the same stagnant creations
I've been viewing for the past 2 years.

Wrong.  I don't like them, that's my opinion.  I can go on for a long time
about how I don't like them and really don't want to see them, but that
would hold no water in calling for their banishment.

Overtaking the bandwidth of Brickshelf (and therefore abusing the free
service) for something of such little value to the vast majority of the >AFOL community is a grounds to debate it on.  See Larry's comments.  >If this is a phenomenon that can be linked to bandwidth-depleting on >Brickshelf, this is a valid point in calling for their banishment.

Agreed, but the 'vast majority' keeps uploading the same old content over
and over. Changing the head of a minifig doesn't make a castle MOC any more
exciting than it was before, but some folks do it anyway.

And yes, I am concerned about Brickshelf being misused.  Just like I'm
concerned about LUGNET being on autopilot.

Amen, brutha!

Autopilot isn't about growth, its about stagnation.

Tim, you are a bigwig over there on the cad site, so why don't you go • ahead and make the program be able to make these type of bionicle >images so you do
not have to look at pixelated images any more (I know, the horror). But
would that make it more visabally appealing to you?

It would make it more visibly appealing, but it wouldn't change the >nature of the image, the bandwidth it is taking up (if it is, hasn't been >proven by stats by Kevin yet), etc.

You really don't think that's true, do you? More parts for LDraw= more
combinations. Recently Mladen Pejic asked me why I don't .DAT my creations.
I replied there were two reasons for this:
1) No Mac support
2) A lack of parts for things I build

Believe me when I say there is a group of people who would use CAD Bionicle
parts if they were available.

-Tim

-Dave