 Off-Topic / Debate / 15180
Re: If you're an AFOL and you know it raise your hand (WAS: Blacksmith Shop)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:03:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Allan Bedford wrote:
I am NOT an AFOL, I do not find many of the things that make AFOLS • giddy
be very interesting to me.  I am adult who enjoys 'building' with LEGO.

Adult who enjoys 'building' with LEGO sounds like an AFOL to me.

I guess I'm just not fond of labels.  If someone else wants to call • themself
an AFOL I have no problem with that... it's just not for me.

But is not "adult who enjoys building with LEGO" as much a label as "adult • fan
of LEGO"? 8?)

Is someone who believes in God necessarily a Christian?

You miss my point. I am not making a comment as to which best describes you,
just that you've said you're not fond of labels, then promptly labelled
youself.

I'm still missing your point I think.  I don't recall labeling myself with
anything.  I did try to express a description to help folks understand me,
but I really didn't define a label to attach to it.  What label do you see
that I've called myself?

The answer to your question is obviously no, but "someone who believes in • God"
is just as much a label as "Christian".

Ah, I think I might be seeing what you're getting at.  Perhaps it's
semantics, perhaps it's just different ways of seeing the world.  I see
short concise words like AFOL, Christian, genius, artist, geek etc. as
'labels'.

Well, that seems to be where we differ. I see AFOL as simply an acronymic
(????) abbreviation of "adult fan of LEGO". Maybe it's acronyms you're not fond
of?

In a word (or two)

Or four 8?)

they attempt to group together a broad
collection of people related by one or more common connections.  I see words
like "someone who believes in God" or "an adult who builds with LEGO" as
simply open-ended descriptions of one aspect of a person or persons.

So where's the distinction? Five words? I'm probably being pedantic here, but I
just don't see that "adult fan of LEGO" is any more a label than "adult who
builds with LEGO" (or any less an open-ended description of one aspect of a
person or persons).

And in my experience, a member of the latter group is generally a member of the
former, too. YMMV.

Sorry
if I appeared to try and paint myself with a label, that was certainly not
my intent.

Apology not required, but accepted anyway! We often do things we don't intend.

ROSCO