 Off-Topic / Debate / 14964
Re: Is this a good way to make money?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:33:34 GMT

"Robert M. Dye" <htduck.geo@yahoo.com> writes:

IF that's the way it came about (and I am in no way certain it is
accurate), I would have said they could have done a better job
choosing a name for it.  If Christianity is the worship of Christ,
it is not illogical to assume that Satanism would be worship of (or
at the very least, devotion to) Satan.

I don't know the historical reason for the name satanism.  The main
point of the ideology was to be an alternative to christianity.  While
in christianity you should compromise in this life, awaiting a better
afterlife, satanists took the opposite view and strived for making the
most out of this life.  I suppose that one can view Satan as the
opposite of Christ, hence the name perhaps?

From the alt.satanism FAQ, you can read:

    "There is no one set of beliefs that comprise Satanism.  [...]
    However a few generalizations can be made: the average Satanist
    disagrees with much of Christianity, believes in no absolute moral
    code, and places emphasis on the individual and personal rights."

    <URL:http://www.flashback.se/archive/satan_faq.html>

You are of course right that most _modern_ references to satanism
focus on the Satan worshipping thingey.  This is probably why, in my
opinion, the concept is misunderstood.

Fredrik