 Off-Topic / Debate / 14686
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
I consider having to rely on some higher power to explain the good and bad in
the world a crutch.  Stuff happens, deal with it.  Requiring a higher power
to explain it is a crutch IMO.

Simply because something is used as a crutch does not make it inherently a
crutch.  Many people use a professed athiesm as a basis to attack and
ridicule anyone who believes in a higher power, but that doesn't make
atheism a crutch any more so that said belief.

I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of what religion is for
many people, as indicated by your use of "having to rely" and "requiring".

It also denies the inherent good in people - so many religious people pass
off the good as "the work of X", and the bad as "the evil of man".  What a
pessimistic view of man.

That is a flaw in the people using that argument, not a flaw in the belief
in a higher being.  <shameless troll> Seperate the sin from the sinner.
</shameless troll> ;)

thanks,

James