 Off-Topic / Debate / 14668
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:17:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

Ah -- I think I see what happened.  You had replied to my message, in a
fairly (imho) personal kinda way ("personal" as though one person addressing
another, not "personal" as in insulting.)  In this message, you had used the
proverbial or collective "you", though I interpreted it as the 2nd-party "you".

8^)
   What's your problem, anyway?  I was getting set to demonize
   you and burn  you in effigy, and then you turn out to have
   been reasonable all along!
8^)

Specifically, you had dismissed my comments as nonsense, the effect of which
was two-fold:  you had addressed me directly and personally; and you had
directly cast my own statements in a light which I had perceived as negative.

  Ah!  My fault.  My use of "nonsense" was intended with a note of irony
(which, as is endlessly demonstrated here, is difficult to convey in print)
as opposed to a "Sproat-spouts-spilth" declaration.  I can easily see how
that came across as a personal attack.

I apologize for this misunderstanding, but it raises the question:  when
should your ("you" == Dave Schuler) usage of "you" be interpreted as
2nd-party, and when should it be recognized as proverbial?  I ask this to
further my understanding of this discussion, and for future reference.

  Well, if I tip my hand now, I lose that ace-in-the-hole later.  I have to
plead the fifth by saying it's all context, but I can try to make an effort
to be clearer about it henceforth.

Further, accusing me of trolling is simple ad hominem; my
questions are valid.

Oh, I disagree.  Trolling is a valid debate tactic that most of us here have
used (you and I included); I was merely the pot calling the kettle black.
If you've taken it as a personal attack, then again I apologize.  Rest
assured that it wasn't the first misunderstanding between you and me today.  :-,

  This whole 'trolling =/= bad' thing is amazing to me!  You and DaveE are
the only people I've ever known to accept "troll" as a neutral term, so my
response was based on a (mistakenly) perceived label.

I personally can't tell you which parts of the Bible are true and which are
myth.  (Even if I did know, I wouldn't proudly declare them as proof in some
discussion with strangers for the sake of trying to prove someone else
wrong.  That just seems...icky.)  There are several places where I got a
pretty good hunch, indeed some I feel good enough about to stake the way I
live by them.

  Among the faithful, I accept that yours is an acceptable course to follow;
one's relationship with Christ is inherently personal, after all.  For the
non-believers though, the subjectivity of bible interpretation works against
the possibility of an absolute morality, or at least of an absolute morality
that is legitimately accessible to us.

I'm still trying to figure out how you perceived that my definition was so
broad as to include people who questioned the veracity of the Bible.
Reading back now, I'm trying to figure out how I perceived you referring to
me as fundamentalist.  Arg.

  Well, if you'd just stop miscomprehendifying my gobbledygook, we wouldn't
have this problematization.

It's clear that we're both too set in our beliefs to try to meet halfway.
You've clearly already made up your mind in this matter; your words flatly
describing a god who is "petty, vindictive, and spiteful" seem to indicate
this.  That's really too bad; it is my personal hope that I would some day
learn the flexibility to do so.

  It's a good caution for both (ie: all) of us not to be dogmatic in our
thinking.  Your earlier post hinted at the incompatibility between your
definition of "evidence" and mine, and I think that's the basis of our
disagreement, rather than either one of us simply being too set in his ways.

2.  just came back in from trying to change the oil in my truck...  *@#&@!
jerks placed the oil filter directly above the u-joint on the driveshaft, so
it's of course impossible to remove without skinning at least three nuckles,
and oil goes EVERYWHERE...  :-P

  I ask you--what sort of benevolent God would allow that?  J/K.

     Dave!