 Off-Topic / Debate / 14654
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:03:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Any fundamentalist will tell you that the Bible is literally true
word for word [but] I don't hold you to that literal standard...
Since when did I mark myself as a fundamentalist?  And if you don't hold me
to that standard, then why even bring it up?  It seems like you're trying to
troll an already-trolled discussion.  A little disingenious, perhaps, given
my previous message's footnote describing my feelings towards the Bible's
accuracy.
Yikes--easy there, fireball.  Since this is an open forum, I address my
comments to any who care to respond. With this in mind, I specifically stated
that I don't hold you to the literal standard, but I don't excuse others.  If
you perceive it as a troll, I'm sorry, but the topic is still ripe for
discussion, especially when the discussion begins with an exchange about the
relevance of context as it pertains to a single portion of the whole bible.

So what's trolling, then? Isn't it trying to sucker someone into debating
something? (albeit civilly or not) Was that the point of your sensationalism
on Jeremy's point? To get someone *else* to respond who was such a
fundamentalist? Not that I have anything wrong with trolling for things like
that in o-t.debate. You want to debate against someone who'll argue the
fundamentalist point, yes? I don't see anything particularly wrong with it,
excepting the general negative connotations assumed in "trolling"-- Why be
defensive about it? (1)

DaveE

(1) Granted you never specifically said that you didn't consider it to be a
troll comment, but I took such as implied...