 Off-Topic / Debate / 14641
Re: The Nam-shub of Enki (was Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:17:13 GMT

Please! What sort of god thwarts his people out of spite? Not my sort.

Maybe a god who loves his people does these things, in the same manner that
you would stop your children from stepping in front of a moving train --
even if you had to use force to stop them.

  I see your point, and I've heard that argument before, but as an analogy
it fails because the alleged God is allegedly omnipotent, so comparisons
between a God:Man equation and a Man:Man equation aren't really valid.  An
omnipotent being has before him a wider range of choices than a human
parent; aside from spite, there's no reason why God should have stricken all
of humanity forever because of the "sins" of a few.  And to forestall
anyone's objections along the lines of "we can't know His reasons," I hasten
to add that that argument isn't really valid either.

     Dave!