 Off-Topic / Debate / 14256
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:59:23 GMT

It has competitors, and effective ones at that. MS is dominant in certain
market segments but since there are few or no barriers to entry other than
MS competence at making good product, the net result of MS dominance (not
monopoly) is that we pay less for OS and app than we would without them.

Pardon me? Operating Systems didn't cost a cent before Microsoft entered the
game ...

Before everyone says MS is trash... whatever. Get over yourself. Consider
the alternatives. Windows, Word, eXcel and explorer are superior products
that have served us exceedingly well. Bugs and all.

So, Windows is a better OS than others in the marketplace, Word is better
than all other word processing apps, Excel is better than Lotus 1-2-3,
Internet Explorer not a piece of fatware not conforming to the standards it
is supposed to?

In fact, you inadvertantly raise a connected but dissimilar point. MS did
*not* get any government assistance! And voila... look what happened.

Yes, indeed, it leaves me breathless how people would want to use such a
system without being forced. Which is why I think they ARE being forced

Industries that get the least "assistance" and the least regulation and the
least shielding from big nasty competitors tend to produce the best stuff
with the fastest growth and make the most money for all concerned.

Well, I have to agree on "make the most money" even though I don't fully
understand how they deserve it ...

Arguably the internet revolution bubble burst at least in part because of
the Clinton DOJ going after MS, and the rumbles about taxing internet
transactions (well, maybe 20% of it is due to that, ...

I would guess even less. It may have influenced WHEN the burst happened, but
not much more than that.

:wq

Horst (who is a bit behind in reading news ...)