 Off-Topic / Debate / 14254
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:59:23 GMT

But doesn't it take some sensible level of safety (as opposed to absolute
safety) to ensure the value of the "life" part of your rights definition?

Paid for by whom? Government sets up systems but should not be providing
goods.

If security is a good, then the right to live has very little value as well.

What is the value of a life, by the way? Don't answer infinite,
that's the wrong answer and will give you silly results.

It seems to be more in Europe than in the US.

Don't get me wrong: As long as X is NOT a basic human right, I am OK with X
being only available to the rich.

Great. We're all set since you've failed to demonstrate any right to goods
whatever.

That was too quick a victory for you to let it go ;-)

First, I already have said that I see no way to "demonstrate" rights. If a
number of people feel it should be that way, that's how rights emerge. Or
can you demonstrate the right to free speech to me?

Second, we seem to differ on what "goods" are as opposed to "system". Basic
security is part of "system" for me.

I am just not sure how the "life" right
can be lived without security ...

It is not a right to live as long as one possibly can at societies expense,
it is a right not to have force initiated against you, that's it.

Now where does "force" start? Isn't it "force" that takes the father from
the son? Isn't there "force" all over the place ...

Is it not fair that those who work harder or are cleverer have more than
those that don't?

I would without hesitation agree to the "work harder" part of your question.
I am not 100% sure about the "are cleverer" part of it, because that's
something people cannot really influence.

Nonsense.

I influenced my cleverness. I paid attention in school.

... that prevents people to GO to school in the first place?

I stopped taking
mind altering drugs at a relatively early age. If Joe Bloggs didn't, tough
luck for him but that doesn't mean I am under any obligation to pay his beer
tab at the bar.

Fine with me. Unless it was again "force" that caused Joe to take drugs.

But let's assume I agree to both. Is it true then, that Bill Gates works
10000 times harder than I do? Is he 10000 times smarter than me? Am I 10000
times smarter than the average inhabitant of Africa, or do I work that much
harder than they do?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Really 10000 times? You must be kidding ...

:wq

Horst (who is a bit behind in reading news ...)