 Off-Topic / Debate / 14244
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

massive snip, point of information

  So no, I don't believe it was "terrorism" as the term is generally
  defined.  It caused terror, but it was an act of destruction in
  war, not terrorism against a society at peace.  I'd also argue that
  Pearl Harbor wasn't a terrorist attack, nor was Port Arthur.

Pearl Harbour: Definitely a military target, so not terrorism.
Port Arthur: No attempt to coerce anyone - just a massacre resulting from the
wrong person getting access to firearms & too much money. Certainly not
terrorism.

  Uh, I think the wires are crossed.  I'm talking about Port Arthur,
  1904 (Japanese surprise attack on the Russian naval station).  What
  did you think I was talking about?  I'm curious.

Ross was referring to the murder of 35 people in Tasmania in 1996. There's a
comprehensive collection of links at http://www.geniac.net/portarthur/ .

--DaveL