 Off-Topic / Debate / 14161
Re: Oddball thoughts (was: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:25:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Here's an oddball thought:  Imagine a world where Hiroshima and
  Nagasaki were never bombed, and nuclear weapons were never seen
  in action on such a comparatively small scale.  I'd be willing
  to posit that in such a world, a Cuban Missile Crisis would
  have become World War III, and we wouldn't be here flapping
  our jaw-meat about it.  Does the end justify the means?  Can
  there not be any *positive* value to having seen the horror of
  a Hiroshima and Nagasaki relative to the survival of humanity?

Here's another oddball thought: It's likely humanity will eventually cease to
exist at some time in the future, anyway, so was it worth imparting such • horror
on the Japanese population, just to keep humanity going a bit longer?

Humanity will blossom into many other things that will spread across the
universe.  It doesn't particularly matter if humanity as we see it now
continues.  I don't think that bombing Japan enabled the continuation of
humanity (at least it seems a low chance) but if that were so, then sure, as an
enabler of the fantastic future that lays ahead, it was absolutely worth it.
To me...maybe not to the victims, but victims of all kinds might think that way
were they given the chance.

Chris