 Off-Topic / Debate / 14158
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 05:38:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

We'd have to come up with some sort of practical interstellar travel • technique
first - the solar system's gonna get unlivable way before the death of the
universe. But (IMO) we're gonna be history way before that.

How do you figure?

In part it depends on your definition of "we". Humanity has "stopped
evolution" recently,

When? No-one told me...

   Me either!  Wow, cool--LUGNET is the apex of evolution!  :D

and is poised to "take control of evolution" with
genetic engineering of ourselves. I say "we" are what we make ourselves
into, but others might say as soon as there is genetic divergence it's not
us any more. I'd bet anything that we will not be the same genetically in
100,000 years. But still human nonetheless.

I don't totally agree. Evolution turned chimps into humans. We definitely don't
consider them "humanity" though they may well consider us "chimpity"(tm). At
some point, humans will likely evolve into a different species. It's possible
"humanity" will still be around in it's current form (or something close) as
well.

   *HAHAHA*  "Chimpity?"  I love it!  Oh, yeah, forgot the little ™
   (Alt+0665 to make the spiffy extended-char trademark symbol)

   But, as a matter of point, evolution didn't turn chimps into
   humans.  Evolution turned something "apey" into chimps *and*
   human beings, which is an important distinction.  It indicates
   that we've grown and changed; whatever that earlier being
   considered "human", it wouldn't recognize us at first--but it
   wouldn't have to, because it's not still around.  It's *become*
   us, in effect, as well as becoming chimpity™.

But that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking more about balance,
cycles, that kind of thing. Relatively soon, the human population will stop
growing exponentially. Bad things will start happening (have they already?)
like massive famines, etc. Our resources (for nourishment) will be unable to
sustain us. We'll become more susceptible to things we can currently control.
Something else (bacteria, insects, ???) will be able to handle this better than
us. And that's discounting other (natural & not) disasters...

   Malthusian disasters have been in vogue for centuries--and
   every time one looms, we find some way around it.  I'm not
   saying that we shall forever find workarounds, but it's very
   possible that before a final Malthusian demise can come, our
   numbers will peter out by conscious control.  However, the
   continuing poverty of much of the world encourages rapid
   population growth in those areas for a lot of reasons.

Sure, inter-planetary migration may alleviate this a little (how much resource
is practically available in our solar system?), but if we can't work out
inter-stellar travel fairly soon, we've got problems, 'cos all this'll reduce
our resources for that too.

   The hardest part of all of this is that, like SETI, it's
   based on assertions of what's possible rather than what's
   likely--the true values shall be a matter for debate until
   either we're irrevocably on our way out, or we're out there
   among the stars.

But I'm pretty confident that unless the luddites get their way we will be
colonizing this solar system soon enough (within a hundred years) and will
be colonizing nearby ones shortly after that (within a thousand years) even
if it has to be done non-FTL.

Colonising this solar system is a lot different to colonising others. I think
your 100 year prediction is certainly in the realms of probability, but I'm not
so confident about the other.

   It depends on what problems we run into in the process.  As
   Eugene Mallove said:  "If interstellar space is filled with
   iron basketballs, we're going to have a difficult time going
   there."

I'm betting intelligence is rare

I'm betting livable planets are pretty rare too...but then perhaps we can take
our own (space 1999?)

   A livable planet like Earth would require a relatively well-
   developed flora and fauna that's based on a similar metabolism
   (CO^2/O^2 cycle, nitrates, H^2O as a life solvent, etc).  So
   I'd suggest that yes, they'd be less than ordinary.

   Making our own is a real possibility, though--but I think the
   latest pie-in-the-4-millibar-sky scenario for terraforming Mars
   suggested that at least 500 years would be needed to generate
   something that could be worked with, even assuming leaps in
   technology at the pace of the last 50 years.

   Mars's biggest problem, as I see it, is a lack of major tectonic
   activity and volcanism, the things that replenish much of
   Earth's atmosphere directly *and* indirectly.  (Well, yes, the
   latter is sort of related to the former...)

and so we've got lots of room to expand
into, probably thousands and thousands of systems, which reduces the
likelihood of a catastrophic extinction to nil.

Again, assuming we figure out how to (in time)...

   Such is the gamble!  We should take it as a challenge.  Once
   it's seen that way by a majority of people--or as an imperative--
   something will be undertaken.  Whether it'll be enough, who knows?

   best

   LFB