 Off-Topic / Debate / 14152
Re: Oddball thoughts (was: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:51:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Here's an oddball thought:  Imagine a world where Hiroshima and
  Nagasaki were never bombed, and nuclear weapons were never seen
  in action on such a comparatively small scale.  I'd be willing
  to posit that in such a world, a Cuban Missile Crisis would
  have become World War III, and we wouldn't be here flapping
  our jaw-meat about it.  Does the end justify the means?  Can
  there not be any *positive* value to having seen the horror of
  a Hiroshima and Nagasaki relative to the survival of humanity?

Here's another oddball thought: It's likely humanity will eventually cease to
exist at some time in the future, anyway, so was it worth imparting
such horror
on the Japanese population, just to keep humanity going a bit longer?

Was that a serious question?

What are the alternative values to weigh against? I see humanity as good for
millions of years, actually. We may actually last all the way to the heat
death of the universe, we're pretty clever.