 Off-Topic / Debate / 14132
Re: What's the beef? (was Spam Spam Spam etc ) (Was *not* Spam & Chips)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:03:04 GMT

In 1980, Europeans were horrified to discover that 2 and 3 year old children
were reaching puberty. They traced the problem to growth hormones injected
into animals. By the mid 1980s consumers in West Germany, Italy, the
Netherlands and Belgium had persuaded their governments to ban all hormone
additives. In 1988 the European Union imposed a Europe-wide ban. In 1989 the
ban was extended to imported beef.
==+==

I think the kids involved were outside the EU where the level of hormones
used were much higher than is advised in the USA now or the EU then. Either
way, it was not nice.

That sounds pretty extreme, and like the incautious use of Thalidimide,
something to be avoided.  On the other hand it doesn't suggest anything about
current levels of hormone injection.  To tie two threads together, Flouride is
a deadly poison.  Yet we add it to our water and my son gets tablets and mouth
rinse because we have a well.  There are many things that are good at certain
quantities and bad at others.  So why should you fear American beef?

Chris