 Off-Topic / Debate / 14053
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:16:18 GMT

I think I missed that the first time. It was my understanding that they
surrendered about as immediately as could be possibly arranged given the
circumstances. Can you restate why you feel they did not surrender
immediately?

"As immediately as possible" I suppose you could question, but according to
the timeline:
- 8/6 Bomb #1
- 8/9 Bomb #2
- 8/14 Surrender
There was more time inbetween the 2nd bomb and the surrender than between
the 1st and 2nd bombs, in fact. And in fact, had it not been for the
emperor's stated desire, it sounds like war would have persisted.

Now, weapons are expended for tactical objectives but those objectives
themselves are part of the strategic objective of winning.

Yes, I fully agree that the objective was to win. The tactic behind the
atomic strike, however, was fear (I believe), moreso than it was any sort of
actual physical damage the bomb might have done.

OUR objective in using the a-bomb was to destroy a significant part of the
Japanese war effort support structure and to inflict casualties. The fact
that it *happened to convince* the Japanese that we were well nigh
invincible does not necessarily imply that that convince-ment was our
objective. So I reject the assertion that "obviously we did it to scare the
Japanese" as well as "obviously we did it to show off to the Russians".
Nothing is obvious about that and you will have to prove it in detail, step
by step.

Only if I want to convince you. Unless you're not entitling me to my
interpretation of the events, in which case I'll fight you on that. I think
it was a scare tactic, plain and simple, under the guise of a militarily
"justified" strike-- hence, a terror weapon, rather than a strategic weapon.
Although perhaps "strategic" covers the "terrorist" category as well, but
nevertheless, I think it the action's intent was to scare more than
incapacitate retaliation.

Absent that, instilling fear cannot be claimed to be the primary objective
unless you show it to be so.

And likewise your viewpoint. I hold that my interpretation, given the facts
available, is a just as logically valid of a conclusion as yours is. And
further, I think mine makes more sense (subjectively of course). And there
we can agree to disagree. Try to convince me otherwise if you like-- but I'm
not overly likely to change my mind.

Meanwhile, I'll ask this-- if it *were* the case that scaring them was our
primary objective, would you then consider it a terrorist action on our
part? How about if it were only a 2ndary objective? Partially terroristic?
At least I hope you'll agree with me that far.

DaveE