 Off-Topic / Debate / 14048
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:21:32 GMT

Now you're the one who's going for the complicated explanation ;)

The world is a complicated place. Or would you rather Truman hadn't
considered all those factors?

You can handle the complexity, I think. You're trying to run two arguments
here at the same time, one about necessity and the other about morality,
after all.

Oh, that was just sarcasm about the last time you accused me of
over-analyzing a situation down to many constituent parts and rating those
parts as nigh on irrelevant. Hence the little ';)'.

As pointed out,
two bombs were dropped and they still didn't surrender (at least not
immediately). Were the bombs really providing the motivation? And to pick
back to the side-issue, wasn't what motivation they were providing based on
threat of terror?

No, the motivation was that we had a *new weapon* that could wreak so much
havoc with relative impunity (since we owned the sky at that point) that we
were about to become well nigh invincible and that the emperor cult was
going to therefore fall one way or another no matter what. That motivation
would still have been there if the weapon was one that made all metal go
away but left people around just fine (to pick a hypothetical weapon that
has a lot lower death quotient but still has that same invincibility) within
its effect radius.

You just hit the nail on the head, didn't you? That we had a "new weapon"--
and that we weren't afraid to use it! "Be scared, you Japanese! Behold our
new super-weapon! Surrender or else!" Yes? Isn't what you described
instilling fear in the enemy as opposed to preventing them from retaliating?
Isn't that terrorism? You may still argue that it was a *necessary* and
maybe even a *moral* use of terrorism (I'll disagree if you do, but carry it
little further), but I think you're arguing that it *was* terrorism.

DaveE