 Off-Topic / Debate / 13957
Re: From Vietnam to Jesse Helms (Re: More on Palestine)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Even regardless of the innocent people who get killed, who have nothing to
do with nothing? Goals, shmoals, the bottom line is there used to be such a
thing as chivalry. The movie "The Patriot" pointed that out and it is as
true then as it is now. The "anything goes in war" mentality applies to
terrorists and cowards. It is very easy to kill defenseless women and
children, there's no bravery, heroism, patriotism or honor in that. If
anyone thinks there is, I suggest they talk to a Vietnam vet sometime.

I have spoken to a Vietnam Vet; last night in fact;  I have a special word for
him; I call him Dad.  And you know what?  Dad *never* killed defenseless women
and children in Vietnam.  I take extreme umbrage with your statement.  That was
a horrible war, but fought honorably and bravely by the vast majority of
Americans (and others - my dad has never been an American citizen, but fought
for the U.S. Army) who went to Hell out of no choice of their own.  I find it
insulting to the hundreds of thousands of honorable Vietnam servicemen still
with us.  Perhaps *you* should talk to some Vietnam Vets and/or the families of
the killed, maimed or missing before you dishonor their sacrifices.

I agree, Dan's tarring everyone with a big sticky brush. His general
comments are interesting though. <snipped>

   I think James is reading something into Dan's comment that
   I don't think is there.  Dan stated that there's no chivalry
   in killing the defenceless, and to ask a Vietnam vet if you
   doubted that statement.  I also know a number of Vietnam vets--
   my parents know their parents (I was born quite late).  They
   all definitely agree that non-com casualties were horrific and
   the antithesis of their actual mission; indeed, the antithesis
   of everything these young men believed in.  I think that's what
   Dan was getting at; nowhere in there did he state that US
   forces in Vietnam were cowardly or made a policy of killing
   non-combatants.  However, that was such a fluid war that
   "collateral damage" (shudder) was impossible, and for a lot
   of the guys I've met who did full tours in the field, *those*
   were the things that still give them nightmares.

   I agree with you, James, but I'm not sure you've read Dan
   correctly re: Vietnam vets.  Just my impression, anyways.

   Oh, and "The Patriot" is pseudo-historical presentist tripe.
   I trust it about as much as I trust "Gladiator" for Roman
   history.  The names and places may be the same, but the rest
   is pure fiction.

   best

   LFB