 Off-Topic / Debate / 13908
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:27:49 GMT

They've earned it.

Or more likely, they were blessed with beneficial circumstances.

Is it not fair that those who...are cleverer have more than those
that don't?

And here's the only problem with laissez faire.  OF COURSE it isn't fair that
those who are cleverer have more than those who are not.  What deep
misunderstanding of the universe could even make you think to say that?  The
only reason that I'm generally a supporter of libertarian ideas is that I can't
come up with anything _more_ fair.  So the question you should ask instead is,
"is it more fair to steal from one to give to another, or is it more fair to
let people keep what they earn?"  I think, with some minor caveats, that it is
more fair to let people keep what they earn.  But it is clearly unfair that I'm
able to make more money just because I'm smarter than average (to whatever
extent that's even true).

But I don't actually think that innate intellect is as great a factor as
environmental conditions, most notably what your parents teach you about money.
You cite the choice to stop drugging your mind and crack the books as the
cleverness that "earned" you your income greater than most.  But that's not
intellect at all.  That was possible because you were raised in an environment
where education and hard work were valued.  It is a choice that would have been
extraordinary had you been an impoverished slum dweller.  It would have been
next to impossible with a different background.

So those folks are almost condemned through their parent's ignorance to serve
your kids fries (or steal their TVs) and you think that's fair?

Chris