 Off-Topic / Debate / 13763
Re: Justifying Barbarism? (was: More on Palestine)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:59:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

To your other comment on the effectiveness of the bombs, from everything
I've read, the U.S. fully expected to have to fight house to house if
conventional means of bringing the war to Japan were to succeed. The
expected casualties were many times the actual casualties from the
bombings. Also, the resulting Japan would probably have been so ravaged
as to be much harder to bring back into the fold, and it's people far
more resentful. What the bombs did was demonstrate the absolute futility
of continuing the fight (never mind that we had just played our only
trump cards). I'm also not convinced that we truly understood the scope
of damage which would be caused (remember, prior to these bombs, only
limited tests had been conducted). Dropping a bomb in an unpopulated
area also would not have been effective since it would have used one of
the bombs, and not really shown anything [wow, you kicked up a big cloud
of dust...]).

This made me think a bit about the question:

Can barbaric acts (whether terrorism or not) be justified if

a. The intended overall result[1] is positive (eg. save lives, reduce poverty),
and
b. The actual overall result is positive, even if it's not the intended result?

IMO, the 11 Sep attacks fail (a) [2], but may yet succeed in (b), if it ends up
reducing terrorism in the world. Aug '45 fits both. So though it was barbaric
(and IMO terrorism), can it be justified?

ROSCO

[1] By result, I guess I mean "total effect on society" or something like that.
Feel free to make adjustments 8?)

[2] Though the perpetrators would probably argue they intended a positive
result for *themselves*