 Off-Topic / Debate / 13639
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:14:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Scott,

while I agree to some thoughts of your analysis, I have to oppose this one:

They were a reprehensibly selfish and perverse attack for  a
little more freedom and liberty in places like "Palestine", Iraq and
Saudi-Arabia.

Look at what he wants for these places, you will see it is what the public
there wants.

In no way does bin Laden or the Taliban stand for more freedom.

That is why I said "more fredom" not "freedom".

Look at Iran
and, even worse, Afghanistan. Only the leaders are enjoying freedom there.

Yes, we need to understand WHY they do things like 911, and Larry seems not
to be the type of guy to be ultimately helpful with that. (After all, each
of us has his strengthes and weaknesses ...). Yes, I feel that some of the
freedom we in the west enjoy goes too far, because it limits freedom
elsewhere in the world.

I agree.

BUT we will not want to give up the idea of freedom
as a whole, and that's OK.

It depends on what you mean by freedom. The west has a lot of wealth. More
than enough to share.

Scott A

Greetings

Horst