 Off-Topic / Debate / 13382
13381  |  13383
Subject:
gum arabic (was Re: War)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:43:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Scott A wrote:
Not at all.  If one makes mistakes (and we all have), must one feel bound to
continue making those same mistakes just because they once did?

Why not fix the mistakes 1st, before starting a new mess?

Because one can't afford to fix every mistake one has ever made. Do you
think the UK should fix all of the mistakes it made with it's
colonialism? Who is going to fix the mistakes the Romans made with their
colonialism (after all, some of our modern troubles do derive from those
mistakes)? Who's going to fix the mistakes that prehistoric man almost
certainly made that we have very little idea about, but which certainly
had ramifications still being felt today?

Heck no - I'm talking about the current messes.

Frank,
Here is an easy one to fix. Try to read the whole text, look at the claimed
impact that "mess" has had on the whole country:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4268146,00.html

Scott A

Why build bases in places like Saudi-Arabia? Because of their love for
democracy. Why support Israel? Why continue the current mess in Iraq. Why
seek the extradition of an individuals without showing any evidence to
support it. Why are the northern alliance our new friend - because they are
enemy's enemy... we made the same mistake with SH!

It is hypocritical to treat people in this way, and then complain about
civil liberties at home or claim to be fighting for freedom or democracy.
I’m not saying the US is the sole culprit here, others are also to blame.

Scott A