 Off-Topic / Debate / 13363
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:01:45 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKL6Lv.H9n@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
But this doesn't stop folk in Ireland, and the world over, believing that the British should return land that was • taken
a long time ago. Nor people the world over still harboring grudges against the UK's collonial past.

This is a *very* interesting point. The UK, France & Holland have very
suspect colonial pasts. Why is it that the people we oppressed don't hate us
like so much of the world appears to hate the USA? Is the collective memory
short or does the USA represent a modern form of "empire"?. Or is it
something else?

I doubt it is very different.

Extremists in some countries hate the UK.
Extremists in some countries hate the USA.
Majority of people in the same countries neither hate or love the USA or UK, are mostly indifferent, and happy to go
their own little way.

Perhaps the UK faired better by introducing sport into the collonies as a way of allowing them to give us a good beating
and get their own back. Those collonialists were pretty smart. Let them beat us at cricket and they will forget we are
subjugating them. Doesn't seem to have worked for Scotland yet though :-)

lawrence