 Off-Topic / Debate / 13361
13360  |  13362
Subject:
Historical Significance of Iraq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:41:18 GMT

Just a few positive facts to ponder:

+ Human civilization began over 5,000 years ago in what is now Southern Iraq.

+ Iraq, in ancient times known as Mesopotamia, is located between the Tigris
and Euphrates rivers - the cradle of human civilization.

+ Ancestors of the Sumerians created a religious center which later became
on the world's first cities.

+ The first wheel, astronomy, maps, hospital, school, pharmacy, university,
finance, trade, architecture, time measurement, and art all had origins in Iraq.

+ The religion of three-fourth's of the world's people had its origin in
Iraq. Therefore, Iraq has religious significance for three major religions:
Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

+ Iraq was the center of history's first great empires - Akkadian,
Babylonian, Assyrian, and Chaldean - whose capital, Babylon was planned to
be the capital of the universal empire envisioned by Alexander the Great.

+ Some of the towns that exist in Iraq are the oldest continuously inhabited
in the world.

+ Baghdad, around 800 A.D., was one of the first vibrant centers of science
and philosophy.

+ During medieval times, Iraq was the heartland of the Abbasid Empire, which
produced a brilliant civilization covering much of Europe and Asia. The days
of Haroun al-Rashid are celebrated in the famous works, "Thousand and One
Nights."

Dan