 Off-Topic / Debate / 12964
12963  |  12965
Subject:
A request for peace.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:43:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Today, I emailed the following letter to the president, hoping he would listen.

-Alfred

                                       September 19, 2001
                                       Alfred J. Speredelozzi, Jr.
                                       2670 Fenwick Court
                                       Ann Arbor, MI 48104

The Honorable George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Mr. President,

   I am writing to you today to ask you to consider a very
unconventional way to defeat terrorism.  I am asking you to forego
bombing, forgo assassination, forego attack of any kind.  As one
Christian to another, I am asking you to instead send peace to the
middle east.
   I know your anger with these terrorists is great.  The tragedy of
September 11, 2001 is an evil unparalleled in our history.  Every
time I read the news, I feel the same anger, the same desire to
strike that most Americans have expressed this past week.  However, I
have also prayed more this past week than any week in my life.  I
believe God has answered these prayers.  Mr. President, God wants
peace.
   The United States has great power in the World.  We have resources
that other people can only dream about.  Our nation could decide to
strike its enemies and destroy entire countries in the process (if
they were found to be responsible). We also have the resources to
patiently hunt down and kill all the terrorists currently residing in
the world.  Yet, I do not feel that either of these options will rid
the world of the hatred against the United States that brought down
our buildings and the lives within them.
   This country also has a great power to heal.  You have praised the
valiant efforts of the police, fire fighters and rescue workers who
risk their lives to this day searching in  the rubble of the World
Trade Center.  You have witnessed the great charity of our citizens
as they have raised money, given comfort, and donated their blood.
Sir, we must harness this healing power and apply it towards those
who wish to kill us.
   Matthew writes, in chapter five of his gospel, that Jesus told us
to love our enemies.  We are instructed to "turn the other cheek,"
and offer to the thief more than he came to steal.  I believe we must
love our enemies like we would love our brothers or our daughters.
When my daughter strikes me, I do not strike back.  When my brother
is hurting, I bring him aid.  Many people in the Arab countries in
the middle east are hurting.  We should provide them with more than
they took from us.  Send food, shelter and medicine to those who lack
it.  We should not stop there!  We should provide the same comfort to
all in need throughout the world.
   I understand that sending peace in this way is a complex problem.
It will not be easy to accomplish, even if every person in this
country felt as I do.  I also understand that the United States has
given aid in many ways to many countries, and continues to do so.
Both charitable citizens and government programs have provided relief
to many, especially during natural disasters.  But what we have done
in the past, and continue to do is not enough to destroy the hatred.
Your goal now is to eradicate terrorism, but this evil will only be
overcome by acts of goodness.
   Therefore, our response to the terrorists should not be an act of
violence.  That would be the path of evil.  The leaders of those who
committed this crime are hoping that you choose the path of violence,
so that they may continue their war.  Give them a surprise attack of
love.  I propose here one possible symbolic act: send a convoy of
ships, or a squadron of bombers laden with food.  Give it freely to
the hungry and war-torn people of Afghanistan.  If you fear their
military will take it all, give more than any military could collect.
We can do this with the full resources of the United States.  We can
destroy the hatred and the support of the terrorists at the lowest
level.
   Mr. Bush, our greatest Presidents have been known by their acts of
charity.  Lincoln gave his life for the idea of reconciliation with
the Souther States.  Truman earned, for our country, unending
European loyalty with the Marshall plan.  Finally, your father earned
the respect of Arab world by stopping the rout of the Iraqis once
Kuwait was secured.  All of these presidents have one common thread.
Their acts of wisdom have come only after our acts of war and
violence.  Today, I pray for you, that God will grant you this wisdom
before the violence begins.

                                          Yours in Christ,

                                          Alfred J. Speredelozzi, Jr.