 Off-Topic / Debate / 12961
  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) Let's be honest about this--it's *entirely* based on faith, and not at all on fact. And that's where the issue ends, for many people. (...) Yes and no. They are capable of presenting a faithful account of their own recollections and of their (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) The "fact" side of this argument is based on Biblical "fact", but it requires "faith" to trust that what is in the Bible is indeed "fact". I suppose I can condede your point. (...) I can think of only two miracles that were not personally (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) Sorry--your knowledge of scripture is more complete than mine. I'll need to re-check my sources. (...) That's not a bad point, but it is a fundamental sticking point for some people. The notion that the OT was a book predicting Christ's (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) What about all the OT miracles, then? Leaving the NT aside for the moment, the OT predicted many events that also took place in the OT. <snip> (...) But Jesus's miracles are those which don't leave very much wiggle room. The healing miracles, (...) (23 years ago, 22-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) That is, by definition, circular reasoning. I predict that I will attach my name at the bottom of my post--that doesn't make it prophesy. My point is that the Bible is *in no way* adequate confirmation of its own supernatural claims, and there (...) (23 years ago, 25-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) <snip> (...) Wow. A miracle! The Church of Larritarianism IS accepting applications for prophets, if you're interested. Entrance exam is way less strict than, say, the Church of the SubGenius. And for all you other sinners out there, we also (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) In the biz, I believe that's called a wide Prophet Margin. (...) You had me up until this part--sounds too much like Amway or Scientology (the latter of which is certainly and irrefutably a religion, and not in any way a cult dreamed up by a (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)