 Off-Topic / Debate / 12924
Re: from the NYT via /.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:51:07 GMT

Thanks to Ross posting the Stallman link I did some nosing around /. and
there is a lot of great stuff there!

Yeah, they have a fairly effective method of categorizing articles, and
filtering posts, which makes it somewhat easier than some for finding
interesting / useful stuff.

Here is a very thought provoking essay

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/magazine/23TERROR.2.html

Free reg required (sort of). If you dont feel like giving them your email
address, use

http://partners.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/magazine/23TERROR.2.html

(Tip found on /.!!) Dunno why they have rego if they leave that hole
unplugged...

Now, to the brits out there, keep reading past the bit about how and why the
brits did what they did during the war of 1812 and get to the end before you
foam... :-)

What I took away from that article is that it's way MORE than just about
what american foreign policy towards Israel, or event towards the muslim
world is...

This author is saying it's a struggle against the very idea of the
expansionist, capitalistic, hedonistic free society we have here in the US
(and to a lesser extent elsewhere in the west) by traditionalists of all
stripes who resent the overturn of the older order and see us as a threat to
their way of life.

It may be a big simplification but it's thought provoking nonetheless.

Agreed, however my view in this case is that, while many people in the world
are applauding the actions of the hijackers because of such fears, I think this
actual attack was probably more likely a reaction to something fairly specific.
I may be proved wrong.

ROSCO