 Off-Topic / Debate / 12558
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:39:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Well said, although I can't agree with the timing of bringing up
  the last two paragraphs--it's still far too emotional a time to
  start dragging the political roots of terrorism into it.

I understand, Lindsay :)

I speak from the heart and I am outraged by all of this! But, in my heart
and mind, I cannot help but think the blame is two-fold and things don't
just happen out of the blue, though I deplore such hatred and inhumanity as
witnessed yesterday.

On a personal level, I know that life for me and my family may well take a
terrible turn for who knows how long, just as a few decades ago with the
fallout from the Iran Hostage crisis. If there is an anti-Arab build-up in
this country, I truly fear that some fool may vent hatred upon me or my
family simply because of ethnicity. It has happened before, I don't want it to
happen again. I encourage everyone to rid their hearts of hatred and even
help dispell the hate amidst them, such as hateful language or actions taken
by those around them. Let us seriously examine the many, many steps that can
be taken to help ensure a lasting peace throughout the world for many years
to come and let's hope for no more killing.

  But I agree 100% with the first part of this *and* its timing--here in
  NJ I've been hearing about a LOT of heckling, spitting, and general
  hostility directed at Arabs in general and even American Muslims
  in particular.  Let's find and punish the guilty and show that
  even in our deepest pain and anger, we're better and stronger people
  than the terrorists.  Hate is the weapon of the weak.

Bravo!

  Let's deal with this shock, horror, and anger first, and then
  look rationally at the roots of it all.  And, of course, remember
  that evil never justifies evil in response.  Whoever quoted Gandhi
  was right on the mark.  I hope that the world will show the wisdom
  of Gandhi today.

Equally well said!

Dan