 Off-Topic / Debate / 12539
Re: Lets NOT talk about ( Re: Terrorist Attacks on America ... just yet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
<snip>

You KNOW I have lots to say about this but let's take Matt G's advice and
let it sit for a few days. Whatever we have to say about it isn't going to
change what the real world decides to do in the next, say, 7 days, so why
not declare a moratorium on it?

I also support this suggestion.
In other news:  Larry--where are you right now?  Are you camped out at the
airport or did you find other accomodations?

I'm a seasoned traveler, as soon as it became clear that there was a chance
that flights might start delaying, I got a rental car as a precaution via
landline to our agency. 5 min after that NWA was on the PA saying that the
airport was closed. While everyone else realised they needed a car and
started stabbing their cells and getting busys I was heading for the bus
(followed by guard dogs). It was the last relatively empty bus for a while.

The Hertz lot ran out of cars as I was pulling out the Hertz gate with my
NeverLost already programmed for my downtown Indianapolis destination.

While rolling through farmland south of Toledo where few other people would
be trying to use their cells, I made a reservation at a Marriott (remember,
they were the chain most impacted by evacs and casualties, so therefore the
one most likely to have rooms) in Indy.

I arrived in Indy with an hour to spare for my pitch. Changed into the clean
shirt I packed in my computer bag as a precaution, and gave it, wowing the
client that I would show up at all on a day like today.

Then I linked up with Eric Smith, Bricksmith, who lives in north Indy, and
had a nice visit including getting to see where the Milton Train Works site
actually lives. Now I'm in my room and about ready for bed... Tomorrow back
to the client for some unscheduled but billable (yaay!!!) work, then on the
road for home, NeverLost guiding me all the way home to GRR where I'll pick
my own car back up.

So I'm fine. Maybe even a bit smug about how I can travel better than most
because I'm so good at it.

But seriously... Smug is all well and good, but underneath I am deeply
saddened and shocked and grieving. I had to give up a first class seat to
Indy and drive myself... Big deal. A lot of someones right now aren't ever
going to get to sit in first class, or even coach, ever again and a lot of
someones aren't ever going to see their mommies ever again either. Who cares
about me when you put it that way?